8.04.2008

Arch and I decided to do an overnight backpacking trip a few weeks ago. We hiked up to the Continental Divide, down a steep pass, and into a beautiful, mosquito infested valley. Took us four hours to get there and almost as long to get out. We were clocking a 30 minute mile for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd mile (when we still had mile markers) so I'm guessing this gem of trip was 15-16 miles in under 24 hours. There was a really cool stream and waterfall right behind where we set up our tent on a grassy knoll for the night. Also, there was no fire ban and the moon was out and only one other person had a permit for this area on a Monday night (so says Ranger Rick) so it was a really amazing night out in nature surrounded by snow capped mountains. I was a little weary of bears, seeing as a lady I work with has seen 3 this summer (one got in her car parked at her house) but Archie rigged up our food and toothpaste high in a tree, so no bear incidents, thankfully. For as cool as NZ is, there are some pretty cool places here in our own backyard.


The CO state flower in all its glory. I was the only in our party who was siked enough to take a picture--for the record that attempts to not rob Archie of his manliness.


Archie and a waterfall.


Behold the fruitful valley of flowers, streams, and mozzies (kiwi for mosquitos).


The Arapahoe Pass: much easier to go down than to come up.


You bet I took a wad of snow from one of the many snowbanks still remaining and put it in that champ of a bandanna to keep me cool in so many senses of the word.

4 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

Peps you look totally sweet in that last picture. I feel you just need a "Members Only" jacket to finish the deed.

Those pictures are so pretty! The one with the field of wild flowers make me think that place that Dorothy goes on her way to OZ land thats all fieldy with flowers.

ashley said...

what a beautiful place.

here in hawaii i have a special little name for those "mozzies," it's "bastards" connie almost pee's her mumu every time i get bit by one.

Debbie said...

Makes me jealous that you are nice and cool and enjoying the great outdoors. CO is beautiful!! We are enjoying the great outdoors throught the picture window here in the 105 degree heat.

Greg and Abbey said...

Pepper!
How are you! I miss you, Boulder, Pearl St. and Powells!!! I just ate the last pieces of my kukaburro! How are you? Sorry it's taken me a while to write. We're been here and there, trying to get settled and visitng family. Hope your new fancy shmancy accounting job is going great!
Abbs