Yes, this is what you think it is...one dead opossum, hanging by its crispy tail over a 200+ ft cliff. I was so pleased to come across this gem of a scenario on our hike to the watering hole (more on this in a minute) as I have been dying for a picture to go with this little unknown kiwi fact: people hunt possums here. Please imagine Bishop Greene (whose family we stayed with for 2 nights when we first got here) telling us a story of going night clubbing with his friend. And by night clubbing he meant possum bashing for it's prized soft and water resistant fur. $150NZD for a trash bag of fur (that's approx. 12-15 animals). Apparently you have to pluck out the fur whilst the body is still warm for easy removal, otherwise, better bring your clippers. Also according to him, they are so stupid that all you do is shine the flashlight in their eyes to freeze them up and then take your whack. If I didn't seriously see so many dead-by-car possums, I would think this to be murder for money, but since they are considered a pest, I'm glad to know that their fur makes it's useful way into most wool products. Better go check your Uggs.
The watering hole excursion has been one of my favorites thus far. This waterfall comes out of lava tubes deep within the mountainside instead of over rocks as normal. The hike goes up and around to the top of the cliffs (where we came across the dead possum) and you can actually see the rushing river disappear into a hole in the ground where it later emerges in all it's falling water splendor. If fact there is a sign even further up river at another smaller waterfall (where this picture was taken) that reads "Danger, No Swimming. At the bottom of this pool is one of the entrances to the underground river."
At last, we make it to the watering hole. This is the clearest river I have ever seen and at this part it has a sandy bottom. There were two rope swings for our tarzanian pleasure, and some moderately high cliffs for which to throw ourselves off of. Done and done. (We've posted some new Flickr sets, if you'd like more visuals.)
2.10.2008
Posted by
Pepper
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I think my brother-in-law has told us stories of going eel clubbing in NZ. They do it at night in the rivers and it sounds freaky.
These pictures are the best. I especially like the possum as they used to get in our pool and Jaron actually was mad at me one day when he caught a baby one in our garage and it escaped from the back yard. I guess I was supposed to babysit the thing. Now this the way I like to see them. Ha
Soo cool... well not the possum thing, but thw watering hole. is it near mt. maunganui?
This watering hole is kinda near Rotorua, though it took a couple hours on some dirt roads in the woods.
seriously, an opossum? i am afraid! coolest rope swings though!
Wow. Tarzanian dreaminess. Can I come?
Cool post! I love seeing the wooded outdoors of NZ.
Possums are indeed one of the more stupid animals on this planet. We had one living in our basement for a while. I shined a flashlight in his/her/it's eyes and it just laid on it's side and hung it's tongue out like it was dead. Brilliant defense tactic.
-Aaron Gary
I started a blog-check me out
ooh paradise! I love rope swings--geronimo! I think we have an opposom living underneath our house in our crawl space. The opening to the crawl space keeps getting knocked off, but I don't dare nail it in place in case the opposum is inside when I do it and dies in there--a rotting rodent under our house would be so stinky.
Post a Comment